Monday, July 22, 2013

No One Else

A few weeks ago we were dealing with a less than stellar homeownership issue. The kind that uproots your evening and then hoses your weekend plans while you deal with it. It was really not fun. 

We stayed up too late, bickering back and forth before crawling into bed tired and cranky. The next day, after the dust had settled and we felt a little better, my husband walked into the kitchen with a smile on his face and said, "There is no one else I'd rather be dealing with this stuff than you." 

This isn't the first time he has looked at me in the midst of an ugly situation and told me that if we have to deal with life's messes, he's glad it's with me. Two years ago, we dealt with a job loss and major career upheaval, and "I'd rather be here with you, than anywhere else with anyone else" became a daily mantra. 

Sometimes those words were to comfort, sometimes to encourage and sometimes even a reminder that we chose daily to be one and live life together no matter what gets thrown our way. 




I had planned to post this on our upcoming twelfth anniversary, but, ha! Both Aaron and I forgot our anniversary, which was Sunday, until the very end of the day! We had a good laugh about it the car high fived each other for twelve years well done, grossed the kids out with a kiss and went on with their bedtime routine as planned. While we love a good celebration as much as the next guy, it is nice to know that neither of us gets undone by a forgotten anniversary. We joked that the last time we forgot was our second anniversary, when I was pregnant with our first, so maybe we'll forget our twenty second as well? (And no, I'm not pregnant.)

At any rate, remembering (or forgetting) a date, a good marriage does not make. With each passing year I am more amazed at what a gift my husband is. He is a strong, wise, Godly man, who supports me in all my endeavors, is an amazing father and partner, wears plaid like a champ, and is dang good lookin', even (especially?) with a corncob pipe.

Happy Anniversary, Mr. Bone, there is no one else I'd rather do this with than you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.