Sunday, August 19, 2012

She Reads Truth

I am bad with Bible studies, you know Beth Moore, Kay Arthur and the like.I start them, but never finish them. I have shelves upon shelves of unfinished Bible studies. When someone suggests "going through a book together" I cringe inside. I already struggle with discipline and I have always wanted to focus my attention and time on a daily quiet time. At least that is what I tell myself.

It is a rare thing that I open my Bible for the sake of just diving in, studying and just being with God. Sure, I open my Bible "regularly", to look something up, to talk about something with the kids or with my husband, but rarely do I make real, meaningful time for the most important relationship in my life.

I know that I am not the only person to have this problem; pretty much anyone with a busy life can think of a million and one reasons why a daily quiet time with the Lord is just too hard. I'm tired. The kids are too loud. It's too early. It's too late. I can't find my bible, and your Bible just isn't the version I like. (oh yeah. I've gone there) Or, the one true reason that is at the root of all the others: I don't want to have to change. I don't want to see the blessings, the love, the accountability, the forgiveness God's word has to offer and have to do something about it. I just don't.

I know. I know.

But that is the way sin works, isn't it? I get all comfy, cozy and wrapped up in it, in my own desires and solutions. I want to control my own life, thankyouverymuch. I don't need God cramping my style. My pride takes over and suddenly the Bible on my nightstand might as well be at the bottom of a well.

SheReadsTruth
Even in the midst of depression and trials I still would resist the call towards carving out daily quiet time. I just continued to make excuses for myself and muddled along.  A few months ago I was online and saw a tweet from someone I know with the hashtag #shreadstruth. Intrigued, I clicked it and found myself being directed to the She Reads Truth website.

She Reads Truth was started by two friends who wanted to hold each other accountable for finding time. They found a study on YouVersion, jumped in and soon had dozens, then hundreds, now thousands of women joining them. In just a few months. I jumped into the first study, which was twelve days long.

I did three days.

I was discouraged for a few days, but then dusted off my feet and got back into the game and signed up for the next study. It was a little longer, but, hey I could do this!

Let's not dwell on how many days of that study I did, m'kay?

Look, I'm just taking a try, try, try again approach with this. Now, I am on day 10 of the current Proverbs study and only four days behind! Hey, I am going to take my successes where I can. I have a friend who is keeping me accountable and I her, all while we figure out how to be creative and use our God-given talents for Godly purposes. We are still working on that.

So why do I tell you all of this? First, so those of you who have been or are currently  where I was know that you aren't alone. Second, to implore you to join me. Seriously. I am begging you to join me in reading Proverbs if regular daily study is not currently part of your life. Even if you don't want to. Even if you don't have time. Even if you fell like you don't need to be in the Word daily to be close to God. This is me begging. Third, well there is no third, so I reiterate the first two again.

Who's in?

3 comments:

  1. The only time I read my Bible faithfully daily was when I first recommitted back in late 2003. After that stint which lasted months. I read when I am looking for something or when I am in a gathering.

    I do want to get through the whole thing but it does not look like I am in a hurry.

    Still I am growing in faith and staying on the straight and narrow. Being in Bible college does not hurt.

    I commend your journey. I hope you get what you want out of it.

    For now I have rare and odd scripture references hard wired or down loaded in. In good old KJV so I know I have enough to keep striving and my whole life ahead of me for the next change or phase that might come along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Claire. Just remember, God's love for you is not affected by how faithfully you complete a Bible study (I say that because I struggled with that thot for years). Yet, He is pleased when His children faithful seek Him through the Word. Love to join you but I'm already committed in two separate studies. Thanks for sharing from your heart AND real life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Claire. Just remember that God's love and acceptance of you is in NO WAY affected by how faithfully you complete a study!(I say that because I have struggled with that thot for years) Yet, He loves to see His children seek Him faithfully through His Word.

    Wish I could join you but I'm already in the midst of two studies with small groups. Will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.