Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I ♥ Sacramento {Colonial Heights Library }

We are incredibly blessed to live down the street from, arguably, the best library in Sacramento. The Colonial Heights Library underwent a complete makeover last summer, making it a bright, fun, friendly place to spend an hour or two. It has become a staple our weekly activities. Our youngest daughter is 3 years old and is young/old enough for both available story time activities.

Wednesdays at 10am is the story & play for kids 0-3 and Thursdays at 10am is the story time for kids 3-5 with our Children's Librarian Miss Laura. To say she is amazing is a giant understatement. She really is wonderful and the kids flock to her like the Pied Piper. Except it's more like Ukulele Librarian. that's right we have an awesome ukulele wielding librarian. Be still my heart.(Learning to play the ukulele is actually on my Life List of things I want to do, but that is for another post. Maybe Laura will teach me!)

Now, as a mother a good story time is probably all it takes for me to fall in love with a library, but Colonial Heights is clearly more than just a good library because they have so much more than just a fun story time. In April the library introduced the Sacramento Seed Library and held a ground breaking for a community garden. The Friends of Colonial Heights (run by the amazing...you guessed it! Laura.) have been hard at work building a community garden behind the library building. We were thrilled to be able to be a part of the ground breaking ceremony and go to the special garden craft and story time they held.




I am also really impressed with  the teen section. The library staff has done a fantastic job creating a fun safe place that the kids of the community want to be. That is so huge for a community like ours, where kids could easily find less desirable after school activities. The only reason the teen area is empty this particular day is that I took the pictures during school hours on a weekday. After 3pm there are dozens of students doing homework, playing video games or reading.









The Seed Library, isn't it adorable? It is, I know. I have a cute little garden growing right now off of seed library seeds. I am still a pretty novice gardener and I planted late this year, so I am not sure how successful my harvest will be. I get an A for effort, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.