Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweet and Sour BBQ Sauce


Nice weather equals grilling weather, or if you are my mom, all weather is grilling weather. Thankfully, in California, grilling weather is pretty much year round, even here in the Sacramento Valley. We lived in St. Louis, MO for most of my childhood, where grilling weather was reserved for the warm summer months. Not for my mom, though. One of my earliest cooking memories is of her bundled up against the snow, turning meat on the grill in February.  That is commitment to the craft, man. Or at least dinner.


There is something about cooking outside that makes everything taste better. Even in February. A few years ago we were given a grilling cookbook that changed my BBQ habits forever. First, on the rare occasions we buy meat and make hamburgers, I now have some amazing hamburger recipes that are amazing if I do say so myself, but that is another post for another day.

Second, I will never, ever, EVER buy another bottle of BBQ sauce again. Ever. "No, no, no never again! NEVER!" Can you name that movie? If you know me in real life I have likely made you watch it with me at least once.

Where was I? Oh yeah, BBQ sauce. So, this cookbook had great basic recipes for BBQ sauces and a few variations. Of course, being the rule breaker that I am, I ditched the cookbook and made up my own recipe. I have made it twice now, and before I could get a picture of the hamburgers I made with it, then the chicken drumsticks, we ate them all like locusts. Yes, it's that good. 



Sweet and Sour BBQ Sauce
1 c Organic Ketchup
1/8 c Sweet Thai Chili sauce
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T Hot Chili sauce (sriracha)
1 t Chinese 5 Spice
1 Garlic clove, minced
In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients and bring to a slow boil over med-low heat. Stir occasionally.  Allow the sauce to reduce until it is thick and covers the back of a spoon. It’s that easy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.