Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Almost" Girl Scout Cookies

I feel like I need to make it up to you, you know after my live tree/Santa rants of late. With treats. I'm starting my Christmas treat extravaganza, and this recipe is my second favorite of late. The first involves caramel, nuts and chocolate.

I did want to share an little email from my Granny about her memories of getting the family Christmas tree, because I loved it. 
I have fond memories as a little girl tramping through the snow in up-state New York with my Dad and sisters trying to find the perfect tree.  In those days it wasn't necessary to go to a special place to hunt the tree.  Daddy would just drive down the road a little way and pull off next to the woods and off we would go.  There were so many trees it never took very long to find the ONE.  Daddy cut it down and we all dragged it to the car; he tied it on top and we were on our way home. 
 
The tree never came in the house right away.  It would be in a pail of water outside until Christmas Eve when it would be brought in the house and decorated...after my sisters and I were in bed.  Christmas morning was magical with the tree and presents there in all their glory.  Great childhood memories!
 
I agree that an artificial tree is so much easier on everyone but there were none in those days, and life was much less hectic.
 
Love,
Granny (Grandpa & Puff too!)

And now I give you:


"Almost" Girl Scout Cookies (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

1 package Ritz crackers (or graham, saltine or matzo)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Lightly toast the coconut in a pan on the stove top and set aside.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place crackers in an even layer on baking sheet and set aside.
  4. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and immediately reduce temperature to low. Cook, stirring, adjusting heat as necessary, until sugar has completely dissolved and begins to bubble. Spoon toffee onto each cracker, careful not to spill over the side (too much).
  5. Transfer toffee-covered crackers to oven and bake until toffee has a rich, shiny sheen, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Tent crackers with aluminium foil and let stand 20 to 30 minutes.
  6. Remove foil tent and spread melted chocolate over the crackers to cover; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Transfer cookies to refrigerator and let chill at least 2 hours.
  7. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature.
  8. Try not to eat them all in one sitting.
 These taste like salty/sweet Samoa Girl Scout cookies. In other words, they are PERFECT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.