Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Twelve Girls and the State Fair












I got to take twelves girls aged 3 to 13 to the State Fair yesterday. It was free kids day and I maximized it by taking our Girl Scout troop and a few moms for a few hours. Every time I go on a trip with these girls I am reminded of how awesome they are. They could not be more different and not just in age range. Their personalities, backgrounds and interests run the gamut. One girl just returned from a European vacation with her grandma while another has never travelled more than 20 miles away from her house.

No matter where they are from or what their background is they all really appreciate each other. They work as a team, build each other up and learn from each other. It is a really great thing to watch. Some people have told me "Oh, you are doing a great thing for these girls!" but I have to say that every single girl has an outstanding family supporting them.

It can be hard navigating a group of our size and diversity, but it is also what makes it such a treasure. The Girl Scout council thinks I'm nutty for taking on a multi-level troop, but it is so fun. I can't imagine having it any other way.

Naturally I couldn't even do Girl Scouts normally. Gotta buck the system in every possible way, don't I?

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful post!! Your words and photos were beautiful. Don't you think fairs and carnivals are such great places for photo opps?? Have a wonderful day!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.