Thursday, November 3, 2011

This is what amazing looks like


Kelly is 6 weeks (ish) into her first round of chemo and looks amazing. Don't ask her how she feels, but she LOOKS great. She laughs at me every time I tell her that, but it's the truth. It's been nice getting to help take care of her and the kids while Eric is at work. Charlotte and I drop the two older kids off at school and then head over to Kelly's to hang out until Lily gets out of kindergarten a couple days a week. Some days we are quiet (as quiet as a 1, 3 and 4 year old can be) and tippytoe around so as not to disturb the patient and others we chat and giggle and talk all morning long. 


I think the hardest thing for Kel has been the restrictiveness of being sick. Kelly is always ready for a party and fun, impromptu Popsicles on the front lawn and allllllllll day trips to Six Flags with five kids. We go to Funderland and Fairytale Town and the zoo together. We take them to the lake and out to ice cream. Kelly is the official driver of the Fun Bus (ok, there is no official Fun Bus, but if there was, she'd be driving.) When you are on chemo the fun is greatly reduced, but we have still been finding ways to have fun. 


Target is especially fun now, and Chipotle and Home Goods.  I think I'm Kelly's enabler since her husband is always telling her that she shouldn't be out much (and she shouldn't) but we seem to have established weekly outings. Twice I have taken her on "quick" trips to Target that may or may not have lasted two hours each. Once we went out to dinner with friends and to Home Goods and shut the place down. But I wasn't driving that time, so I'll say that wasn't my fault.

 And last weekend we had a girl movie night (Troop Beverly Hills) and I might have stayed over talking till midnight. It might be tiring, but I think it's good for the soul, hers and mine, to have a tiny slice of the normal fun we used to have back. For now I'll happily drive the Fun Bus, just until she can take it over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.