Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Joyful Songs


Since just before Thanksgiving my kids have been learning what their Sunday school teacher calls "the joyful songs" Christmas carols for when they sing at the nursing home. Beautiful, old fashioned, sweet songs of praise for the birth of our Saviour. Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and their favorite, Go, Tell it on the Mountain.

For the last few days, my heart has been heavy for those who are struggling to find joy this Christmas season. As if they have sensed this, the kid have been singing their "joy songs" morning noon and night.

I sat sipping my coffee, willing myself not to read news out of Connecticut until they left for school and Tyler walked by softly singing, "Joy to the world, the Lord is come! Let earth receive her King," on his way to gather up his backpack and shoes.

Driving home from running a million (and one more) errands I found myself grouchy, irritated with my to-do list, feeling guilty for being grouchy in light of other people's pain. I hollered at the kids to stop fighting in the back seat, "Or [insert empty threat here], so help me GOD!" The kids fall silent and soon Hark the Herald Angels sing comes up on the radio and they quickly, happily, loudly, chime in.

Hark the herald angels siiiing! Glory to the newborn King!

Several times this week, I found myself dwelling on loved ones whom I knew were suffering. It's agonizing knowing that those you love are hurting and you can't make it go away. I am reminded that I can pray, pray, pray. Somehow, God knew my prayers needed a soundtrack and provided me one through my kids.

Go, tell it on the mountain! O'er the hills and everywhere!  Go, tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born! 

Tonight, we played a rousing game of flashlight hide and seek in the house. We turned off all the lights, supplied "It" with a headlamp, and scurried to all corners of the house. In between rounds, I would hear the kids singing their songs together, or humming them as they looked for the remaining hiders.

My heart is still heavy, but through my kids, God revealed sweet joy and reminds me that joy is upon this world, for Jesus Christ is King! A wonderful reminder just in time for Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas, friends. I hope you spend the holidays with your loved ones with a full and happy heart.

1 comment:

  1. Love this - brought tears to my eyes. Merry Christmas, Claire. Thank you for blessing me throughout the year with your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.